Saturday, February 18, 2017

Don't Speak by Katy Regnery

Release Date: February 27, 2017

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ½ Once I started reading this book I didn't want to stop! Regnery has a wonderful ability to pull you into a world and make you want never want to leave. She always brings out my emotions and this story was no different. I am trying hard to write this review without giving away any spoilers. So I broke it down best I could:


What I Loved:


  • That Erik and Laire are drawn to each other right away.  
  • Laire’s personal growth - she starts out quite naive but proves to be a strong woman and works hard to have the life she wants.
  • That the story proves: family isn't always blood related.
  • The love Erik and Laire have for each other.
  • There are some funny parts and some great tender moments.
  • How they meet years later… I was all giddy with excitement at that point in the book!


What I liked less:


  • I found Laire almost too naive in the beginning, but she's from a remote island, and considering her family...ugh.. I get it.
  • The major plot turning point, sorta had me scoffing.. perhaps I expected something more?
  • Laire’s family.. the way they think and act is horrible and completely archaic. I just flat-out disliked them.


All in all, I quite enjoyed this story and would totally recommend it. It feels more like an actual real-life happy ending, than a super-all-tied-up-perfect unbelievable one. It's a good addition to the series and I think the author made the story fit “The Little Mermaid” tale well. I also want to add.. I loved the cover!! It's beautiful!

*I was given an ARC in exchange for an honest review*


The Blurb:


From New York Times bestseller Katy Regnery comes a new twist on a beloved fairytale.

A fisherman’s daughter.

The governor’s son.

Two very different worlds.


In this modern retelling of The Little Mermaid, a fisherman’s daughter from an Outer Banks island untouched by time, meets the son of North Carolina’s governor at a fancy party where she’s working.

Laire, who wants so much more from life than her little island can offer, is swept away by wealthy, sophisticated Erik, who is, in turn, entranced by her naiveté and charm. The two spend a whirlwind summer together that ends on the knife-point of heartbreak and forces them to go their separate ways.

Years later, when fate leads them back to one another, they will discover the terrifying depth of the secrets they kept from each other, and learn that shattered hearts can only be healed by a love that willfully refuses to die.

All novels Katy Regnery’s ~a modern fairytale~ collection are written as fundraisers. 10% of the e-book sales for in March and April 2017 will be donated to P.E.O. International, a non-profit organization that celebrates the advancement of women, awards scholarships and grants, and provides motivation for women to make their dreams come true.

**Contemporary Romance. Due to profanity, adult themes and very strong sexual content, this book is not intended for readers under the age of 18.**

No comments:

Post a Comment