Saturday, February 06, 2016

Four Nights with the Duke by Eloisa James (Audio Edition)

Performed by Susan Duerden
(Desperate Duchesses by the Numbers #2; Desperate Duchesses #8)

♥ ♥ ♥  Let me start by saying that Eloisa James is a hit and miss author for me. I haven't read enough of her books to be fully decided if I truly like her or not. There were parts of this book I really loved, and parts that I really disliked. 

Vander is so arrogant that I want to dislike him for it, but on the flip side it makes the dousing of his arrogance sometimes funny and a bit rewarding. I liked that Vander wants Mia, but doesn't want to want her, and it frustrated him. However, I disliked that he disrespects her often in this book, with hastily spoken insults, and cruel words. Then assumes that his lust for her or his quick, almost forced apologies would make up for this. It's a nasty little cycle. 

Even though, Vander did have some redeeming qualities, for example his way with Mia's nephew. The way he treats her poorly, too often, and the fact that even though she stands up for herself at times - she still takes him back, thinking all the while she loves him but he doesn't love her.. it still left a bitter taste in my mouth. 

This quote took me back.. Vander's thoughts: "He suspected that when Mia spoke about respect, she really meant love..” ... Ah no.. I think she meant respect and the fact that he doesn't see this.. just proves in my mind that he isn't going stop disrespecting her... but I digress..  

As I said there were also a few things I LOVED about this book. I loved the beginning bits before the chapter started, the way the heroine is plotting her newest story. Loved that it felt like I was getting the inside scoop on how authors may do this.. and made me wonder if this is how Ms. James plots hers. Next- without giving anything away, I enjoyed the ending. It was very sweet. However, had I not disliked Vander as much as I did... it would have been SOO much sweeter for me!

I found the story was written well enough that I wanted to keep listening. The narrator also had a hand in this, as her reading is wonderful. I am sure I will try another of this authors stories in the future. 

Here's the blurb:

As a young girl, Emilia Gwendolyn Carrington told the annoying future Duke of Pindar that she would marry any man in the world before him—so years later she is horrified to realize that she has nowhere else to turn.

Evander Septimus Brody has his own reasons for agreeing to Mia's audacious proposal, but there's one thing he won't give his inconvenient wife: himself.

Instead, he offers Mia a devil's bargain... he will spend four nights a year with her. Four nights, and nothing more. And those only when she begs for them.

Which Mia will never do.

Now Vander faces the most crucial challenge of his life: he must seduce his own wife in order to win her heart—and no matter what it takes, this is the one battle he can't afford to lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment